8.9.10

A bit of a catch up


So I got a bit lazy yet again and didn't do an update on Magic.

In the last month we've both moved home which means he's back at the yard we both love. He settled straight away which meant I could crack on with his schooling on a decent surface for the first time in nearly 2 years.

Our first session was a few days after we arrived with another horse being ridden in the school. He managed to concentrate and do some nice work with a fairly consistent outline but as usual when someone is watching my riding went to pieces which meant canter was a bit of a rushed mess.

The second schooling session was in my parents back garden, it's only big enough to do smallish circles but it was good to get him working nicely somewhere new with things to distract him.

We then had another schooling session in the school which went a bit wrong. I used my spurs to help get him to canter as soon as I asked but he took offence to them and just got faster and faster which meant he motorbiked the corners and we both got annoyed.

After that he had his one and only pessoa session since we moved. He really surprised me with how balanced his canter looked compared to a few months ago and he even worked round over his back instead of holding himself up with the muscles under his neck.

Today we had the best schooling session we've ever had. After seeing how nicely he can canter without me on board i wanted to concentrate on getting him to strike off when I ask and I wanted to work on how I ask, mainly to stop myself getting tense because I'm causing him to rush by trying to hard to keep him in canter. Today i went for the 'quality not quantity' approach and by the end of the session he was cantering much more balanced and steady without falling in on corners or motorbiking around them. He even softened a little towards the end. I finally felt like we've gotten somewhere.

Also jumped for the first time in months in preparation for a mini one day event at the start of October. Hopefully he can keep himself under control so we have no bucking.

No comments:

Post a Comment